The Construction Works Coordinating Bureau was formulated and came under the Ministry of Works and Urban Development from the former Design & Construction Supervision Office, unregulated office under the Ministry of Infrastructure that had been handling the construction sector until 2005.
The Bureau has three operational departments namely Building Code & Standard Department, Government Construction Works Department, and Registration & follow up Department that are instrumental for carrying out its duties and responsibilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Construction Works Coordinating Bureau has the following major duties and responsibilities
1. Setting standards for design and construction works and following-up & supervising the implementation of same;
2. Ensuring the preparation of designs and contract documents of Federal Government financed construction works/projects;
3. Causing the supervision of and inspecting Federal Government financed construction works/projects to ensure their conformity with regard to quality, standards, time limit, and cost provided in their contracts;
4. Registration of professionals, consultants, contractors, and construction equipments;
5) Conducting researches to improve types and qualities of local construction materials.
The Bureau currently involved in the following major activities that are pertinent to the aforementioned duties and responsibilities.
1. Working towards the approval of the Building Proclamation;
2. Handling the registration and subsequent renewal of professionals, contractors, consultants, and construction equipment;
3. Conducting the inspection of 33 Federal Government financed projects worth Birr 944,877,341.22;
4. Working towards the registration/ certification of consultants in quite a number of additional disciplines;
5. Building up multi-purpose database of the construction industry;
6. Improving/updating existing registration procedures and requirements;
7. Preparing standard designs for government office buildings;
8. working for/making plans for partnership forum with stakeholders in the construction sector;
9. coordinating the management and supply of Infrastructure for urban areas in Ethiopia.
Construction Works documents
የኢትዮጵያ ሕንጻ ኮንስትራክሽን የማስፈፀም አቅም ግንባታ ስትራቴጂ (የፀደቀ)
የኮንስትራክሽን ኢንዱስትሪ ልማት፣የማስፈጸም አቅም ግንባታ እና የሥራ ዕድል ፈጠራ ስትራቴጂ (የፀደቀ)
ETHIOPIAN BUILDING CODE PROCLAMATION
Ethiopian Building Code Regulation
Contractors Registered for 1999
Criteria for construction machineries
Number of Contractors